There are a number of significant needs among the youth in our Constituency: creation of more apprenticeships and traineeships, better recreational facilities and services, lack of employment opportunities, better education assistance, and prevalent drug use.
The following alarming statistics of the Neath Port Talbot region reveal some alarming statistics:
- The Borough of Neath Port Talbot ranks first in binge alcohol consumption.
- The neighbouring city of Swansea ranks highest in Wales for the number of drug-related deaths.
- This region has the highest number of drug and alcohol related hospital admissions per 100,000 people in all of Wales.
- The proportion of drug use in adults is 9.9 percent compared to 21.9 percent among young people (16 – 29 year olds).
- Suicide rates in males are much higher in Neath Port Talbot than the Welsh national average: 32.6 per 100,000 compared to an average of 22.5 per 100,000.
It is my hope to create Drug Prevention and Child Trafficking programmes in our schools throughout the region, create more employment and training opportunities and install better recreational facilities.
- Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council Local Development Plan 2011-2016, Health Topic Paper, August 2013, 26.
- According to figures released from the Office of National Statistics 2016.
- Points three to six taken from National Assembly for Wales, In Figures: Substance Misuse Research Paper, July 2009. Paper Number 09/026.
- Health Social Care and Wellbeing Strategy 2011-2014 (HSCWS), 15.